Saturday, February 02, 2008

And If I Touch You, You Don't Feel A Thing

Just finished my first tutorial of this semester. Let me just say this: I am struck and dumbfounded by just how boastful some people can be. My tutor just monopolised the entire lesson and didn't really let anyone get a word in. The thing is, when she asked us questions, she simply took the liberty of answering it herself without waiting for anyone's answers, even when people were putting up their hands to answer. She also talked about herself, her qualifications and so on. My lecturer is even worse. I miss my old lecturer and tutors, man. They were really intelligent people who cared more about the students than their own greatness.

Another thing: the school that I attend is full of teachers. So everyone loves to boast about how their job and how difficult it is and how much they earn. I can tell the difference between job pride and just plain arrogance, and this is definitely the latter. Come on man, you can't even speak English properly and you want to boast about being a teacher? What's the big damn deal? It's a job like any other. You're putting to shame those REAL teachers who go in everyday and slog damn hard for their kids and bring home tons of homework to mark without boasting about it to anyone who will listen. Disgusting.

Guess I'm just in a bitter mood now. Why is everyone so full of pride? When you think about how big the world - and the universe as well - is, you must realise how small we are in the scheme of things. There is nothing great about being a teacher or the manager of a bookshop or every other tiny achievement that we want to blow out of proportion and tell everyone else about. The reason why the world is so fucked up as it already is, is due to these people who can't get their head out of their asses. It's people like my former lecturers who maintain the balance, otherwise we would all have gone to hell in a handbasket a very long time ago.

Thank God for people like them. Damn, I really miss them.

No comments: