Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Annie, Are You Okay? Are You Okay, Annie?

Get this: in the last 24 hours, in 2 separate incidents, 2 people have drowned in the reservoir near where I live. I know this sounds trite, but there seems to have been a lot of deaths recently. A colleague's grandma passed away, another colleague's uncle also passed away, and so did the Boredphucks drummer. I didn't know him personally although my ex-bandmates probably did. Still, it's really shocking when someone so young and healthy dies in their sleep.

It's a bit annoying now because people are coming out of the woodwork and claiming to a) know him personally b) know him through a friend of a friend c) patronised the same roti prata stall as him or whatever. I mean, come on people, why don't you leave the true grieving to the people who really knew him and loved him? It's an insult to his real friends and family for you to shed tears and claim he will be missed when you barely knew him while he was alive. It's definitely normal to feel sad and shocked that he's gone - I personally feel sad for his family - but to shed tears and set up memorial sites? Come on, man.

Anyway, I don't want to be Bitter Betty today. I shall enjoy my off days and ignore all negativity that comes my way. I'm sad that on Thursday, it'll be my last day working with a colleague who is leaving this week. One thing about working here is that it's notably transient: no one is here for the long term, except possibly the upper management. Still, it's obvious that everyone has an eye on the door. The only reason I'm still here is because of the people. And when that gets taken away, I'm not sure if there are any valid reasons to stay. Sigh.

No comments: