Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Hard Day's Night

The Beatles greatly amuse me. On one of my favourite albums, 'With The Beatles', there are so many heartsick love songs, and suddenly the album ends with the song 'Money' which declares "Your lovin' give me a thrill, but your lovin' don't pay my bills, now give me mooooney...." One is left to wonder what all the whinging and whining love songs are supposed to amount to.

Talking to Aliah about rediscovering things that we loved in our childhood but have forgotten about, I think that rediscovering such loved relics of the past brings an inexplicable joy that's hard to duplicate. Aliah was talking about this book/TV series called 'Worst Witch' and how she used to love it some time ago, but forgot all about it. As for me, I've been rediscovering the music of Supergrass as well as these old Beatles cartoons I used to watch, where poor Ringo Starr was made to be the butt of all the jokes. It does have an interesting episode where John Lennon was mistaken for a pineapple and canned. Ah, people in the 60's must have really puffed the magic dragon a LOT to have such imaginations.

I had always thought my first crush was John Taylor (of Duran Duran...please don't laugh) but thinking back, it must have been George Harrison because of the memories from the Beatles cartoons. Still, gotta love what John Lennon said about how they came up with their band name: "It came in a vision — a man appeared on a flaming pie and said unto them, 'From this day on you are Beatles with an A'."

No comments: